View Firm Profile
18 Asset Management Inc.
President & CEO
Tel: (519) 433 - 0018
Types of Accounts Managed
- Private Individual / Investor
- Institutional Investor - Pension Plan
- Institutional Investor - Non-Profit
- Institutional Investor - First Nations
- Institutional Investor - Other
Provinces of Business
* indicates a physical location in this province
18 AM was founded as an independent investment boutique in 2010, specializing in managing Canadian Equities for Pension Plans, Foundations and Endowments and Sub-Advisory. The firm is located in London, Ontario, Canada.
At 18 AM, we are focused on client alignment, which is achieved having taken the following steps:
- Small Firm– 18 AM will remain a boutique in terms of staff and clients. Being small allows us to foster a strong Culture and to provide clients with personal service.
- Fund Caps– 18 AM purposely sets a mandate’s capacity at a low level, allowing clients maximum performance opportunities. 18 AM’s current product has a cap of $1.0 Billion.
- Product Focus– 18 AM has one product, an All Cap Canadian Equity fund. Only one or two new products will be considered in the future. Fewer products mean fewer distractions.
- Narrow Client Set– 18 AM focuses solely on the institutional market. An expected client set of 20 – 40 clients allows 18 AM to provide superior client service.
- Corporate Culture – 18 AM deems Culture to be a firm’s greatest point of differentiation. Significant effort and investment are being made to foster a vibrant, client-oriented Culture.
- Independence– 18 AM is 100% independent. Clients benefit knowing that all business and portfolio decisions are made in-house.
- Institutional Quality – 18 AM has built their investment track record upon a foundation of rigorous and well-documented back office procedures.
- Outsourcing– 18 AM has outsourced non-core activities, a strategy designed to avail 18 AM of world class expertise while managing its internal staff complement.
- Enterprise Risk Management – 18 AM has proactively addressed enterprise risks through numerous strategies such as Key Man Insurance, Disaster Recovery, the use of an Advisory Committee and conforming to the CFA Asset Manager Code of Professional Conduct.
As to our investment process, we execute on the following investment philosophy:
- Focus on Fundamentals – 18 AM focuses on the key performance drivers of a stock, its balance sheet and income statement qualities and its risk characteristics.
- Systematic Approach – 18 AM utilizes a systematic approach to gather the fundamentals, assess them and objectively determine the attractiveness of stocks versus others. Objectivity and discipline are integral to our process.
- Style Allocation– 18 AM utilizes a systematic, style allocation investment process. Clients benefit from moving from one style to another as market conditions warrant.
- Human Judgment Matters – 18 AM’s systematic approach is complemented with “human touch” while still maintaining the discipline of the approach.
- Risk Management – 18 AM believes that risk comes into a portfolio by either investing in a stock at the wrong time or by investing in a style when it is out of favour. Therefore, we use sell disciplines and style allocation to manage risk. We focus on client-centric risk measures using loss-based measures instead of mathematical or statistical terms.
- Markets are Dynamic – 18 AM adapts by constantly evolving processes and our models. Moving systematically between styles is an example of adapting to changing market conditions.