2017 Award Presentation Dinner
Wednesday June 7th at 5:00 pm at the Albany Club, 91 King St. E., Toronto
About the Award
The purpose of the award is to promote and reward excellence in Canadian newspaper, magazine and online journalism that fosters a better understanding of the investment industry, its products and services and, ultimately, helps to improve Canadian financial literacy. The secondary purpose is to meet the needs of Canadian investors and the public at large in their search for up-to date information on the economy, and domestic and international financial markets.
The winning journalists will be awarded:
- $5,000 First prize
- $3,000 Second prize
- $2,000 Third prize
- To be eligible for the 2017 Award, an article must have been published between March 1, 2016 and February 28, 2017 by a Canadian newspaper or magazine, whether in print or on-line, in English or French.
- Each Award applicant is permitted to make one submission consisting of up to three articles or one series of related articles.
- Submissions must have appeared in print publications or on-line media available to the Canadian public.
- Any article that is written by an employee, director, or officer of a financial services or investment firm is not eligible.
- Nominations can be made by the author(s) of the submitted article, editor or other employee of the publication or by the general public at large.
- Nominations must be received by March 31 each year.
- The award will be presented at an event held within three months of the application closing date.
Each qualifying entry will be considered in competition with all others by an independent panel of judges / jury du prix that will be appointed annually. The panel will comprise of an appropriate balance of experienced and knowledgeable professionals with expertise in either the field of journalism or investment/financial services:
- At least one judge will be fluent in French and English.
- All potential judges will be screened for any actual or perceived conflict of interest.
In evaluating the merit of an entry, judges shall consider:
- The article’s content meeting the stated purposes of the Award;
- Professional journalistic ethics and commonly accepted standards;
- The constraint of the article length given the complexity of the topic covered; and
- Journalists that go “above and beyond” to write thoughtful and substantive articles that provide a perspective on topical issues pertinent to the Canadian investing public.
Application Download & Resources
Read about the 2015 winners of this award.
Read about the 2014 winners of this award. | Lisez à propos des lauréats de ce prix pour cette année 2014.
Read about the 2013 winners of this award.
Read about the 2012 (inaugural) winner of this award.